Sorry this is a day late. I spent yesterday in a fishbowl with a cold compress, slices of cucumber and processing. There’s lots of art happening this week, in addition to it being Bushwick Open Studios this weekend. You can catch us tabling at 3rd Ward (the big one) for the Bushwick Open Pages mag-and-zine fair. Although you should definitely check out the BOS directory for yourself, with almost 300 listings, it can be overwhelming. So I thought I’d make a lil Birdsong-friendly survival guide for a few associated shows. Feel free to comment with yr suggestions!
Friday June 4- June 5 – BUSHWICK OPEN STUDIOS!!!
- The Cedar House, where veteran birdsong artists Julia Norton (1/2 of PAPS) and Danielle Rosa lay their weary heads, is hosting a massive group show called, “Hey, is that our boat?” Lots of artists, lots of fun, closing party on Sunday night.
12-7pm (Friday and Saturday); 1-11pm (closing reception 6:30-11pm, Sunday) @ 751 Bushwick Ave
- Bushwick Open Pages Mag-and-Zine Fair, where yours truly will be representing Birdsong Micropress. The show offers “a curated cross-section of Brooklyn’s magazines, zines, and online publications.” Presented by Slice magazine and Vol. 1.
12pm-6pm @ 3rd Ward (the big one), 195 Morgan Ave. (Saturday and Sunday)
- Sometime birdsong artist Cat Glennon is showing some guache and colored pencil drawings alongside sketch collages which, if the above drawing is any indication, will be completely rad. Cat is like MacGyver + James Bond + Jessica Rabbit—maybe variations on a theme? Anyway, check it out!
12-7pm @ HOTEL, 796 Broadway, 2nd Floor
- Centotto :: galleria [simposio] salotto, “Hinterlands and the Hegemon” curated by birdsong’s own maven of tablin, Paul D’Agostino. Featuring works by Brock Enright, Andy Piedilato, Tim Kent, Oliver Jones and Nat Ward. “Fervidly disquiet, indistinct visions of histories decadent, horizons distant./ Apotheoses of severance,/ forces, depths, instants./ Dashed angels aloft in the wind of ruin./ Egressive tumult in periled glow.”
2-7pm @ Centotto, 250 Moore St. #108 (Saturday and Sunday)
- 7&7: An Evening of Lushy Lit with the Numu Arts Collective, plus booze. Readings by RYDELL BIXBY, MATTHEW ZINGG, GUS IVERSEN, MIKE LALA, CASSANDRA KATSIAFICAS, ERIC NELSON, LEILA BEN-ABDALLAH
6pm @ The Numu Loft, 75 Stewart Ave (I assume there will be some chalk markings directing you to their lair) Saturday only
- Death Panel Zine is having a reading/release party for Death Panel 2: the Secret of the Booze at their
8pm @ their co-op, 75 Stewart Ave #425, Saturday only (swing by after Numu?)